KAALtv.com

Electrical Cord Blamed for Fatal Fire in Lake City

Posted at: 11/14/2012 1:08 PM

LAKE CITY, Iowa (AP) - Authorities believe a worn electrical cord from a lamp caused a house fire that killed three children and an adult in Lake City in western Iowa.

KTIV-TV in Sioux City (http://bit.ly/RD3Quq ) says Lake City Fire Chief Mel Alcox says the cord got stuck in the cushions of a couch, overheated and started the couch on fire. He says the room was being renovated with exposed walls and insulation, which caused the fire to quickly spread throughout the house.
 
A police officer on patrol early Tuesday noticed smoke coming from the southern edge of town about 1:45 a.m. and he followed the smoke to the house. The intense heat and smoke prevented the officer from getting inside.
 
Officials on Wednesday hadn't released the identities of the four killed in the fire.