KAALtv.com

Nearly 180 Pigs Killed in Shed Fire

Posted at: 12/11/2012 9:39 PM
Updated at: 12/11/2012 10:16 PM
By: Steph Crock

(ABC 6 News) -- Nearly 180 pigs were killed in a shed fire Tuesday morning and the family is still looking for answers. It happened just south of Conger. When crews arrived, nearly all of the pigs were already killed from the smoke.

Though a major loss, no people were hurt in this fire. Those operating the hog farm, Ron and Jane Kruger were both too upset to talk on camera today, but they did let us on their property to see what was left of their shed. There wasn't much.

"I said, 'it looked like there's something, do you have a fire out there?' and he said, 'I'll go look," said neighbor Marvel Beiser. She knew something wasn't right when she looked out her window. "Then I could see the building with black smoke," she said.

She called almost everyone on that property, eventually one of the women living there looked outside to find her shed was on fire. "I hung up right away so she could go out and look, and call the fire department," said Beiser.

"The call was at about 9:00 this morning," said Conger Firefighter Jeremy Johnson.

“There were a lot of trucks and traffic going by," said Beiser. Four different fire crews responded to the scene.

"It was a machine shed fire but half of the building turned out to be a hog shed," said Johnson. Crews were too late to save the roughly 180 hogs inside. "The smoke had already taken care of the hogs," he said. The ones that did survive had to be put down. A scene so disturbing, it was too graphic for us to show the video.

The building was also destroyed. "We had to get an excavator to tear half of the building down to get it out," said Johnson. Crews battled the blaze for roughly four hours.

"When things were settled down and it was just about over, I went down to see if the family was alright, said Beiser. That was her number one concern. "I could see they were shocked and saddened like we all would be," she said.

Even shocked herself, at just how quick something like this can happen. "I am very sorry they had this happen. This is something that could happen to anybody," said Beiser.

Firefighters and the homeowners say they still don't know the cause of the fire. A state fire marshal was out there Tuesday afternoon to determine that. We'll bring you those details as soon as we get them.