KAALtv.com

Fire Displaces Stewartville Family on Christmas Eve

Posted at: 12/24/2012 9:42 PM

(ABC 6 NEWS) -- An evening fire in Stewartville has displaced a family just hours before Christmas.

The Stewartvile fire department says the fire started in the garage of a home on county road 16 SE at around 4:30pm.

23 volunteer firefighters left church and their families to respond.

They were able to contain it to the garage, but two cars were totaled.

The presents under the tree were saved, however the family is staying in a temporary housing thanks to the red cross.     

Damage is estimated at $60,000.