1 Officer Released, Another 'Satisfactory' after Mpls. Shooting

Posted at: 05/11/2013 11:08 AM
Updated at: 05/13/2013 6:42 AM
By: Cassie Hart

A Minneapolis Police officer has been released from the hospital and another is listed in "satisfactory condition" after an officer-involved shooting Friday.

The shooting happened shortly before 3:30 p.m. Friday at 2717 Bryant Ave. S. It started with a vehicle chase; the vehicle crashed and the suspect ran into a home, according to Minneapolis police.

Two officers were shot in the legs with their own gun during the confrontation inside the home, sources tell KSTP.

"At some point during the altercation the suspect tried to gain control of an officer’s firearm, which is an MP5. Shots were fired during the struggle. Exactly who fired and how many times has not yet been determined," police said.

The suspect died in the shooting. The family of the man killed in south Minneapolis Friday tells KSTP he is 22-year-old Terrance Franklin.

According to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner, Franklin died from multiple gunshot wounds.

The names of the two injured officers were released. Officer Michael Meath has been with the department since 2005, and Officer Ricardo Muro has been with the department since 2001, according to Minneapolis police.

Meath has been discharged from Hennepin County Medical Center, and Muro is listed in "satisfactory condition" as of Sunday afternoon.

KSTP sources said officers sent a K9 into the basement to track down the male suspect. When officers heard the suspect fighting with the K9, four to five officers rushed into the basement to help, according to the source.

It was an all-out brawl, and one of the officers involved described the suspect as "crazed," according to the source.

Sources say at some point during the fight, the suspect grabbed an MP5 sub-machine gun that was in a sling around an officer's neck that typically hangs in front of the officer's body across the chest and stomach and pulled the trigger.

The two wounded officers were shot with a department-issued gun, according to sources.

It's unknown if the officer or officers that opened fire on the suspect knew if he had a gun, and it's unclear if he ever did.

KSTP Reporter Tom Hauser asked Police Chief Janee Harteau about what our sources revealed during a press conference Friday night.

She said the investigation is ongoing.