Update: Authorities Release Name of Man Recovered on Mississippi

Posted at: 07/03/2013 6:47 PM
Updated at: 07/03/2013 9:18 PM
By: Katie Eldred

(ABC 6 NEWS) -- The body of a missing tug boat worker has been found. The three story tug boat crashed over lock and dam number 7 just after six o’clock Wednesday morning. Two of the workers made it to safety while a third was missing until just before 3 o’clock.

The Winona County Sheriff's Department says the body of 22-year-old Tyler Trussoni from Genoa, Wisconsin was found still inside the boat. He worked for Brennen Marine in La Crosse and is survived by his wife and family.

"Disturbing to see that down there like that," said onlooker Kent Hammer.

Hammer has driven his boat through lock and dam number 7 hundreds of times, but he's never seen an accident like this.

"That current is so strong right now, I'm sure that he was mid ship and who would expect something like that to happen," said Hammer.

"It went over a 4 to 5 foot drop and then it flopped on its side," said Sheriff David Brand.

Dozens of crews from around the area including the coast guard and Mayo One assist with the search. But from the start they suspected the missing crew member was still in the boat. They sent in a robot first and then a dive team.

"To actually go into the boat and conduct a stable search," said Sheriff Brand.

That's where they found the dead body of the 22 year old. Investigators will now look into what caused the accident.

"It lost power just before and we don't know why, it's going to be investigated," said Sheriff Brand.

This is not the first time a boat has crashed through this dam. Just back on Memorial Day 11 people had to be rescued after their boat went over the dam. Back in 2007 four members of a family were killed in a similar accident.

"My prayers and thoughts are with the person's family," said Hammer.

This third and deadly accident has Hammer concerned for others boaters in the area.

"I'm worried about the people who are less experienced, what about the guy who's taking his boat out for the first time and getting near these locks and dams, they are very dangerous,” said Hammer.

The river will be closed in that area while the coast guard conducts a full investigation. The two crew members that made it out safely are expected to be okay.