Posted at: 07/29/2013 11:23 AM
The Rochester Fire Departments says two Chinese lanterns are to blame for a roof fire Sunday night.
Staff at the American Best Value Inn called the fire department around 9:30 p.m. reporting that their roof was on fire.
When crews arrived they found two Chinese lanterns laying on top of the roof and a portion of it was smoldering. Crews had to open up part of the roof to fully extinguish the fire.
The Fire Department wants to remind the public that Chinese lanterns are illegal in Minnesota.