Posted at: 08/30/2013 1:30 PM
(ABC 6 News) - An early morning fire may have caused nearly $200,000 worth of damage to a Mayo Clinic property.
The Rochester Fire Department was called to the 2100 block of institute road just after midnight Friday morning. Mayo security noticed flames coming from the roof of one of the buildings that houses the backup generators.
Crews were on site for nearly three hours. Early investigations show that the exhaust from the generator may have ignited the roof's structure.
The generator alone is estimated to be worth more than $100,000.
The fire department says the building did have automatic alarms, but because of where the fire started, the alarms did not go off.