Navy Yard Shooter Had Shotgun, Handguns

Posted at: 09/17/2013 7:17 AM
Updated at: 09/17/2013 11:39 AM

UPDATE Officials: Navy Yard shooter had shotgun, handguns
WASHINGTON (AP) - Law enforcement officials say the Navy contractor identified as the gunman in the deadly shootings at the Washington Navy Yard used a shotgun and two handguns, but not an AR-15 assault rifle, as officials previously said.
Two law enforcement officials told The Associated Press that an AR-15 was found at the scene. One of them said Tuesday that Alexis did not use that weapon in the shootings. It was not immediately clear whether the rifle belonged to a law enforcement or security officer responding to the gun battle. The official said Tuesday the guns that Alexis used included a shotgun he had purchased and two handguns that he took away from law enforcement officer at the scene.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Streets reopened near scene of yesterday's shooting
WASHINGTON (AP) - The streets around the Washington Navy Yard, the scene of yesterday's shootings that left a gunman and 12 others dead, have been reopened today.
Access to the Navy Yard is being limited to mission-essential personnel.
In addition to the 12 who died, eight others were wounded. All of them are expected to survive.
Authorities continue to learn more about the gunman -- a defense contract employee and former Navy reservist who used a valid pass to get onto the installation and started firing inside a building. He was eventually killed in a gun battle with police.
According to two federal law enforcement officials, Aaron Alexis carried three weapons: an AR-15 assault rifle, a shotgun, and a handgun he took from a police officer at the scene. The AR-15 is the same type of rifle that was used in last year's mass shooting at a Connecticut elementary school. It was also used in the shooting at a Colorado movie theater that killed 12 people.
Officials: Gunman treated for mental health issues
WASHINGTON (AP) - U.S. law enforcement officials are telling The Associated Press that the Navy contractor identified as the gunman in the mass shootings at the Washington Navy Yard had been suffering a host of serious mental issues, including paranoia and a sleep disorder. He also had been hearing voices in his head, the officials said.
Aaron Alexis, 34, had been treated since August by the Veterans Administration for his mental problems, the officials said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the criminal investigation in the case was continuing. The Navy had not declared him mentally unfit, which would have rescinded a security clearance that Alexis had from his earlier time in the Navy Reserves.
Family members told investigators that Alexis was being treated for his mental issues.
UPDATE: DC hospital: 3 Navy Yard victims doing well
WASHINGTON (AP) - Hospital official say a police officer and two civilians wounded in the Washington Navy Yard shooting are doing well.
Dr. Janis Orlowski, MedStar Washington Hospital Center's chief medical officer, said Tuesday morning that the police officer, who was shot in the legs, and a woman who was shot in the shoulder are in fair condition. She says a young woman whose skull was grazed by a bullet is in good condition and asked Monday if she could go home.
Orlowski says the woman feels well and wants to start putting some of this behind her. She says the two female victims saw others who were shot and are "very worried about their co-workers" but aren't yet aware of the extent of Monday's events, which saw 13 people, including the gunman, killed.
NEW: Navy Yard shooting victims had long careers there
WASHINGTON (AP) - Stories are emerging about the 12 people who were killed in yesterday's shooting rampage at the Washington Navy Yard.
They included 59-year-old Navy veteran Michael Arnold. He worked at the Navy Yard on a team that designed vessels such as the USS Makin Island, an amphibious assault ship used by the Marine Corps. His uncle says Arnold and his wife had been married for more than 30 years. He says Arnold was an avid pilot who'd been building a light airplane in his basement.
Kathleen Gaarde, who was 63, was a financial analyst who supported the organization responsible for the shipyards. Her husband Douglass, in an email to the Associated Press, says they'd been together for 42 years, and were just starting to plan their retirement. Now, he says, "none of that matters."
Evelyn Proctor says her 46-year-old ex-husband Kenneth had spent 22 years working for the federal government, and had been working as a civilian utilities foreman at the Navy Yard. Even though they'd divorced this year after 19 years of marriage, she says they remained "very close" and "talked every day." They spoke yesterday shortly before he left for work. He was killed in the building where he routinely stopped for breakfast on his way to his job.
Senate returning to normal operations Tuesday
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate is returning to normal operations Tuesday following a shutdown due to the Navy Yard shootings.
Terrence Gainer, the Senate sergeant at arms, had restricted people from leaving or entering Senate buildings for part of the day Monday as authorities were searching for other potential shooters. Late Monday, however, authorities said they believed the gunman operated alone. Thirteen people, including the gunman, died in the shooting at the Navy Yard, about a mile south of the Capitol.
Gainer said that while operations are returning to normal, the U.S. Capitol Police will maintain a high level of security at the Capitol complex.

WASHINGTON (AP) - Investigators are building a profile of the lone gunman in Monday's mass shooting at the Washington Navy yard.

Aaron Alexis is being described as a Buddhist convert, but someone known to have flares of rage.
The 34-year-old former Navy reservist had prior run-ins with law enforcement, including two shootings. Police in Seattle say Alexis was arrested there in 2004 for shooting out the tires of another man's vehicle in what he described to detectives as an anger-fueled "blackout." The other incident occurred in Texas in 2010.
While some neighbors and acquaintances describe Aaron Alexis as "nice," his father once told detectives in Seattle that his son had anger management problems related to post-traumatic stress brought on by the Sept. 11 attacks. He also complained about the Navy and being a victim of discrimination.
Alexis and a dozen victims were killed in yesterday's attack.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)