Updated at: 10/24/2017 6:56 AM
By The Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. WHAT US OFFICIALS ARE PREPPING TILLERSON FOR
AP learns they are preparing a recommendation for the secretary of state to declare that "ethnic cleansing" is occurring against Myanmar's Rohingya Muslims.
2. MORE THAN JUST LUNCH
Trump will dine with GOP senators on Capitol Hill this afternoon as congressional Republicans turn their focus to overhauling the tax code.
3. GHOSTS OF VIETNAM STIRRING AS TRUMP'S ASIA TRIP LOOMS
Sen. John McCain, a former POW after his plane was shot down in Vietnam, put an unwelcome spotlight on the president's five draft deferments to avoid military service.
4. CHINA LIFTS XI'S STATUS TO MOST POWERFUL LEADER IN DECADES
By inserting his name and dogma into the party's constitution, it tightens his grip over the country while pursuing a muscular foreign policy and military expansion.
5. WOMEN ON TRIAL VISIT SCENE OF ATTACK ON KIM JONG NAM
The judge and legal teams for both sides tour the inside of Kuala Lumpur's airport to give the court a better perspective of events as they unfolded.
6. WASHINGTONIANS UP IN ARMS ABOUT ONLY-IN-DC PHENOMENON
A string of former embassies and diplomatic buildings whose governments have essentially abandoned them raise the ire of residents and politicians.
7. WHY TRUMP'S COMMENTS CONCERN BERGDAHL JUDGE
A military judge is weighing the public perception of military justice after the president's criticism of the Army sergeant convicted of deserting his comrades in Afghanistan in 2009.
8. WATCHDOG: CLIMATE CHANGE COSTING AMERICAN TAXPAYERS BILLIONS
Those costs expected to rise as devastating storms, floods, wildfires and droughts become more frequent, a Government Accountability Office report finds.
9. SAUDIS HOST MAJOR INVESTMENT CONFERENCE
The gathering comes amid low oil prices, pressures from a growing population, fledgling reforms and regional unrest.
10. WELCOME TO THE REAL LATE SHOW
With so many trips to the pitching mound for discussions, the average time of a nine-inning baseball game is 3 hours, 32 minutes during the postseason â€” up 18 minutes since 2015.
(Copyright 2017 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)