KAALtv.com

Faulty pipe led to NY mall carbon monoxide leak

Updated at: 02/23/2014 12:57 PM
By:

(AP) HUNTINGTON STATION, N.Y. - HUNTINGTON STATION, N.Y. (AP) — A faulty water heater flue pipe caused the carbon monoxide leak that led to a restaurant manager's death at a New York mall and sent more than two dozen people to hospitals.

Huntington Chief Fire Marshal Terence McNally says the fumes were circulated in the basement by the ventilation systems at the Legal Sea Foods restaurant at the Walt Whitman Shops on Long Island.

Fifty-five-year-old restaurant manager Steven Nelson was found dead in the basement on Saturday night.

McNally said Sunday the restaurant was inspected last March, and no problems found. Another inspection was scheduled for next month.

The company has been issued a citation for defective equipment. McNally says the flue pipe will have to be repaired before the restaurant can re-open.

(Copyright 2014 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)