Posted at: 03/04/2014 2:11 PM
In celebration of National Nutrition Month, Jen Haugen, Hy-Vee Dietitian will share ideas to help you enjoy the taste of eating right, the theme for 2014. Simple ways we can all make our meals a little better!
5 Foods, 3 Ways
• Substitute Greek yogurt for sour cream on tacos. Stir in
cumin or cayenne pepper and top with fresh cilantro.
• Use Greek yogurt as a dip for veggies. Stir in thawed,
frozen spinach or cucumber and dill for added flavor.
• Mix honey and fresh mint into Greek yogurt and freeze for a frozen treat.
• Make tuna salad with canned tuna and Greek yogurt instead of mayo and add diced red onion and celery for
crunch. Serve in lettuce leaves
• Stir canned tuna into pasta salad with fresh veggies and tarragon or parsley
• Turn canned tuna into patties with parsley and green onion and bake
• Add low-fat milk to whole-grain cereal and top with fresh fruit
• Layer whole-grain cereal in a parfait with low-fat or Greek Yogurt and fresh or frozen fruit
• Use whole-grain cereal as a crunchy coating on chicken or any other protein
• Add bananas to a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread with a touch of cinnamon
• Blend a banana into a smoothie with low-fat or Greek yogurt
• Bake bananas into bread
• Bake sweet potatoes and top with Greek Yogurt and chives
• Mash sweet potatoes with cinnamon or nutmeg and finish with chopped pecans
• Turn sweet potatoes into sweet potato fries or wedges and sprinkled with cumin or paprika
Jen Haugen represents Hy-Vee as a nutrition expert promoting healthy eating throughout the community. Jen is a member of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics.