New Details Released in Pine Island Murder/Suicide

Posted at: 03/20/2014 10:43 AM
Updated at: 03/20/2014 9:35 PM
By: Steph Crock

Nick Roecker & Kayla Koranda
Nick Roecker & Kayla Koranda

(ABC 6 News) -- It's been more than two months since former Lourdes High School classmates Kayla Koranda and Nick Roeker were found dead in a pole shed in New Haven Township.          

Investigators have officially ruled it a murder/suicide. Now, they're sharing more details as to what happened the moments leading up to this tragedy.

"As a result of our investigation that was done in coordination with the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, we have determined that this was a murder/suicide," said Captain Scott Behrns with the Olmsted County Sheriff's Office.

The investigation is complete but there are still a lot of unanswered questions, primarily, why? Why did Nick Roeker shoot his friend Kayla Koranda then take his own life. "He was a great kid, nothing bothered him that I knew of," said a neighbor back when it happened.

"When I found out, I was just in tears for a solid 45 minutes," said one of Kayla's best friends, Hannah Glowicki, the day after it happened.

To everyone that knew them, their friendship seemed positive. No one told investigators otherwise. "After significant investigative efforts we cannot determine why this happened," said Capt. Behrns. So what set things off on January 6th? The Olmsted County Sheriff's Office says the two were having lunch out at Nick’s home with his siblings, then they headed out the shed to "hang-out." The only sign of premeditation... "The weapon was brought from the house to the pole shed. The weapon is owned by Nick's father," said Capt. Behrns.

Moments before being killed, Kayla apparently saw a red flag. "Kayla sent a text message to her mother and the text message was something to the effect of, 'can you help me, please come get me...' something to that effect," said Capt. Behrns. Help didn't arrive soon enough. "There was a delay. She got a hold of her husband, Kayla’s father, and he came out to the scene shortly after our arrival," said Capt. Behrns.

No matter how many times they try to piece it together, some answers may never come. "We wish we could go back in time and fix what happened but we can't, and we express our condolences," said Capt. Behrns.

The Olmsted County Sheriff's Office says there was no alcohol or drugs involved, but they say Nick did suffer from mild depression, or mental illness, but they say it wasn’t believed to be severe.

Watch our previous story when we spoke with one of Kayla's best friends: http://www.kaaltv.com/article/stories/s3273151.shtml