Posted at: 10/16/2012 9:15 PM
Updated at: 10/16/2012 10:23 PM
By: Joe Vigil, KOB Eyewitness News 4
Some people in Valencia County are getting frustrated with taking out the trash. People have faced long lines to dump at the county's only transfer station off the Manzano Expressway. They also show up to locked gates.
KOB Eyewitness News 4 found out that two of the three trailers that haul waste from the transfer station to the landfill are out of service. One trailer is broken.
Someone set the second one on fire on Sunday, causing some of the delays and closures.
People worry that frustrated residents will simply dump illegally.
"We do ask that they not dump waste in the community. They're only harming the community itself. It's the same as the people who lit the fire," said County Manager Bruce Swingle.
The County Manager says he doesn't know when the two trailers will be back in service. The trailer that was set on fire had trash in it and the county wants to dump it at the transfer station to inspect the damage.
But the county needs permission from the State Solid Waste Bureau to do that. So far there is no word when that will happen.
Curbside trash pickup, along with large item pickup and a second transfer station, are expected to come online around the end of the year. The county hopes that will help curb illegal dumping.