Updated at: 06/29/2013 1:35 PM
(AP) SKOWHEGAN, Maine - A Maine judge has ruled that an 11-year-old girl charged in the death of an infant remains incompetent to stand trial.
The Fairfield girl’s detention and conditions of release are unchanged, pending further discussion of her ability to stand trial, Judge Charles LaVerdiere said Friday.
LaVerdiere said there is a substantial probability the girl will be competent to stand trial in the foreseeable future, the Morning Sentinel reported (http://bit.ly/1155a1d).
She is charged with manslaughter in the July 8 death of 3-month-old Brooklyn Foss-Greenaway. The infant was staying overnight at the home of girl’s mother, who was babysitting her.
The infant’s mother was told the baby died from suffocation and had trace amounts of a medication that the girl had been taking in her system.
The older girl was charged last summer at age 10 with juvenile manslaughter. A judge had ruled in March that she was incompetent to stand trial.
The state forensic examiners will check on her competency again in six months, LaVerdiere said.
The girl’s lawyer could not be reached for comment on Saturday. A phone message left at his office was not immediately returned.
Information from: Morning Sentinel, http://www.onlinesentinel.com/
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)