Carbon monoxide detectors recommended

Posted at: 11/13/2012 6:50 PM
By: Eddie Garcia, KOB Eyewitness News

Lacey Jobe has her hands full with two kids younger than two. When it comes to her family's health she takes no risks.

"My concern is, we live in an older home in this oldr part of Albuquerque and our heater has not been on yet," Jobe said.

Jobe watched a segment on Good Day New Mexico Tuesday morning about carbon monoxide poisoning and picked up the phone immediately.

"I know carbon monoxide is an issue and I wanted somebody professional to come out and check it," Jobe said.

Albuquerque company Mechanical Control Solutions sent one of their experts, Wade Schmidt, to inspect Jobe's home.

Wednesday, he checked the heater, water heater, gas stove and oven as well as other gas appliances for the odorless and potentially deadly carbon monoxide.

"The main thing is cleaning your unit and making sure there is no gas smell in the area," Schmidt said.

If there is a gas smell, Schmidt recommends calling the gas company immediately. Beware, carbon monoxide can be odorless. Schmidt said to look out for signs of poisoning.

"The main thing is, the first symptoms are a slight headache and sore throat because you're breathing the carbon monoxide. It's going to irritate your throat," Schmidt said.

the New Mexico Drug and Poison Center recommends you have carbon monoxide detectors on every floor if you have a multiple story home.

Place them outside sleeping areas, but keep them out of the kitchen because it'll go off all the time when you're cooking.

the Jobe household got a clean bill of health; more than a relief for mom and her kids.