AFD: Camping stove caused fire that destroyed home

Posted at: 11/30/2012 12:32 PM
By: KOB.com staff

AFD says a camping stove on a back porch caused the fire that destroyed a home at 2404 Garfield SE on Thursday.

No one was hurt in the fire, which broke out about 2 p.m. Thursday and completely destroyed the home.

Fire officials say the fire was accidentally started by a camping stove on the back porch that was too close to combustible materials.

The material subsequently heated up, ignited and rapidly spread to the home.

According to the department, cooking equipment is the leading cause of home structure fires and associated  injuries - and the third leading cause of home fire deaths.