Former secretary of state's corruption case continues

Posted at: 12/06/2012 6:09 PM
Updated at: 12/07/2012 11:14 AM
By: Joe Vigil KOB Eyewitness News 4; KOB.com staff

A special prosecutor has filed an appeal in the case against a former New Mexico secretary of state drawing out the ongoing saga.

Rebecca Vigil Giron was accused of misusing taxpayer money on a voter education campaign back in 2006.

A judge dismissed her case in October arguing Vigil Giron did not get a speedy trial.

After filing the formal appeal Thursday, the special prosecutor said he's confident there will still be a case and a trial.

Reached by phone from out of state Vigil Giron, who now goes by the name Vigil Gutierrez, said she expected there would be an appeal.

She told KOB Eyewitness News 4 that prosecutors are just "stringing her along" without showing any evidence of wrongdoing.

She also said taxpayers are already on the hook for for a couple million dollars in the case so far, and said they will pay a lot more if the case moves forward.

Vigil Gutierrez served two terms as secretary of state before leaving office in 2006.