Posted at: 02/14/2013 5:07 PM
Updated at: 02/14/2013 6:21 PM
By: Adam Camp, KOB Eyewitness News 4
The city plans to file criminal charges against Marty Adams if he gets in the way of the demolition of his run-down Lexington home, which has been a target for vandalism and arson.
The demolition should have happened Wednesday, but Adams contended he did not get enough advance notice.
Safe City Strike Force manager Joe Martinez said Adams signed an agreement last Thursday agreeing his home would be demolished in five days.
"I didn't argue the fact that it needed to be torn down because it's pretty burnt out. He never gave me a date. He never even let me go through to get my own personal property out," Adams said.
But since the stalled operation, the city spent hundred of dollars in getting a backhoe to the property for zero work. The city wants to prevent that problem again, so it's getting a court order signed before returning.
The home is set for demolition after three fires in two months. The first took Adams' mother in January. Another fire occurred last week. The city decided that the home was a danger to the community.
Bob Trudo lives next door to Adams. He said the city should have not given in to the man Wednesday.
"I think it certainly would be appropriate. Marty had already agreed to the demolition process. When Marty started ranting and raving yesterday about this equipment being on his property, he didn't have any legal basis at that point," Trudo said.
The city said the court order should be issued by a judge by Friday. Once it's signed, the home will go down.