Report shows APD cop may have violated protocol before fatal crash

Posted at: 02/24/2013 6:58 PM
Updated at: 02/24/2013 7:15 PM
By: Maria Guerrero, KOB Eyewitness News 4

New documents detail the events leading up to the fatal crash involving an Albuquerque Police Department sergeant.

According to the documents, some APD procedures may have been violated when it comes to using emergency equipment.

It’s been two weeks since Ashley Browder was killed in a crash with APD Sgt. Adam Casaus.

KOB-TV obtained the initial crash report taken at the scene on February 10, 2013.

The report says the vehicle Browder and her sister were in was traveling north on Eagle Ranch Road.

Casaus was traveling west on Paseo del Norte, he told BCSO he was looking for a possible drunk driver when he went through a red light at the intersection and collided with Browder’s vehicle.

The report says Casaus was “operating in a Code 3 response (lights and siren activated).

However, BCSO’s investigation following the initial report has found while Casaus had his emergency lights on, he did not have his siren on.

This may be a violation of protocol, according to APD procedural orders.

The procedures say an officer responding to a Code 3, “response with full emergency equipment in operation.”

Casaus says he was trying to catch up to a possible drunk driver, but the sheriff’s office says it hasn’t found proof of that yet.

APD procedural orders say: “Officers responding Code 3 will advise radio dispatch ‘Code 3’ prior to starting to the call.”

But according to APD’s call log, the last call Casaus was on was at 9:50 p.m.

Nothing else was reported after that call. APD said the crash happened before Casaus could call in the possible drunk driver.

According to the procedural orders in the section pertaining to Code 3 response, “when it is known that human life is not in immediate danger, the first unit may respond Code 2.”

Code 2 says: response using emergency red lights.

Siren may be used to clear traffic and negotiate intersections.

APD and BCSO declined to comment as the investigation is ongoing.

BCSO’s investigation is expected to be complete in about three more weeks.