Posted at: 04/05/2013 9:05 AM
Updated at: 04/05/2013 9:11 AM
By: The Associated Press
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Authorities in Albuquerque say a 2-year-old boy may have suffered brain damage after swallowing a narcotic allegedly used by his parents to prevent addiction withdrawal symptoms.
A criminal complaint filed against Anthony and Annette Martinez says a doctor told detectives that the boy will be severely damaged neurologically as a result of ingesting methadone.
According to the Albuquerque Journal, the complaint charges the couple with child abuse resulting in great bodily harm, tampering with evidence and conspiracy.
A Bernalillo County sheriff's spokesman says the boy is hospitalized in stable but critical condition.
The parents took him to an urgent care facility on Monday when he was unresponsive.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)