Man in court today accused of kidnapping 4-year-old girl

Posted at: 05/17/2013 5:03 PM
Updated at: 05/17/2013 6:42 PM





More details emerged about the man accused of kidnapping a 4-year-old Albuquerque girl as he appeared before a judge today.

David Hernandez received a $100,000 cash only bond. He is accused of abducting the girl from her North Valley apartment complex.

The girl’s mother Melissa Torrez said her daughter was playing with several other children outside the apartment complex on Wednesday. She said she chased Hernandez, who then tossed the 4-year-old out of his car. Torrez said she accidently crashed into Hernandez several miles away from the apartment complex.

He fled, but was arrested the next day.

Today in court, Hernandez was ordered to stay away from the victims if he posts bond. He was also ordered to stay away from any minors until the case is resolved.

Hernandez was last arrested in 2008, he has a spotty record with the law but he has never been convicted on any felony charges.

KOB Eyewitness News 4 learned Hernandez has a 1-year-old son. Police have made contact with the boy’s mother to make sure the boy is doing fine. 

Police are also investigating if Hernandez was involved in a kidnapping and sexual assault of a 6-year-old girl last week.

Police are showing photos of Hernandez to that child to see if she can identify him as the attacker. They are also comparing DNA evidence.