Group of pit bulls kill family's pets in Santa Fe

Posted at: 05/18/2013 8:54 PM
Updated at: 05/18/2013 9:05 PM
By: Maria Guerrero, KOB Eyewitness News 4

Two pit bulls are being held at Santa Fe Animal Control, another dog is on the loose.

There were two separate deadly farm animal attacks in their neighborhood.

Manolo and Jessica Victor surprised their son with a Welsh pony on his fourth birthday.

The family then bought a goat to keep him company.

The two were kept in one pen.

But all that's left today is a trail of blood.

"I feel horrible," said Jessica Victor. "I'm so sad this morning, such a terrible thing to happen to wake up in the middle of the night to find out it's happened to your animals."

Victor can hardly look over at the pen.

But she is relieved when Santa Fe Animal Control drove up to her neighbor's house Saturday morning.

The Victors claim his pit bulls, used as guard dogs, attacked their animals.

They say the dogs first crossed two invisible fences last weekend and killed the goat.

"[The dogs] almost killed the pony last week. The pony's been on pain killers and antibiotics and then they came back early this morning and finished it," she said.

Her husband made the gruesome discovery, then admits to shooting and killing one of the pit bulls.

The say the dogs managed to squeeze under the fenced-in pen.

Animal control impounded two dogs from the home and is searching for another dog.

The dog's owner did not surrender the dogs.

The Victor's questions why the dogs weren't taken after the first attack.

"Animal Control said we needed a court order in order to take the dogs away," said Victor.

Santa Fe Animal Control says an ordinance restricts what they are able to do in these kinds of attacks, but adds that the second attack made the dogs a public safety threat.

With so many of their children running around, the Victors are grateful the dogs are gone.

"If we do that before any children are hurt or attacked then my poor pony and our goat had a reason in their sacrifice," she said.

The dog's owner has already been cited in the first attack and now faces more citations. A judge will decide the dogs' fate.