PRC could help with water problems

Posted at: 08/24/2013 6:03 PM
Updated at: 08/24/2013 7:34 PM
By: Erica Zucco, KOB Eyewitness News 4

If you are having problems with your water and are not getting any help from the company managing it, the Public Regulation Commission may be able to help.

Christina Cervantes is one homeowner who filed a complaint with the PRC and is now steps closer to getting better, more dependable running water.

For three years now, she has had trouble with water she gets from a well owned by a private company.

She deals with low water pressure, and sometimes faucets that just drip or trickle.

Last year, it was because the well’s owners were not paying their electric bills; this year it is because of mechanical problems they haven’t gotten out to fix.

Now, the PRC is helping to facilitate a movement to new ownership – with a company that runs other wells in the area.

“There's a few different agencies dealing with this and it's gonna take some time but I think we're on the right track,” PRC spokesman Arthur Bishop said.

KOB Eyewitness 4 asked how all consumers can get help if their water companies won’t address problems.

First, visit and make sure your water company is one the PRC oversees. Then, go to “Customer Relations” and click “File a Complaint.” Follow directions to properly discuss the problem with a company. If that doesn’t work, file an informal complaint.  With informal complaints, the PRC can often work directly with a company to try to work out solutions or get a technician out.

If that does not work, you can also pay $25 and file a formal complaint. The PRC will put the issue on a docket for discussion and could end up taking some sort of legal action.

Ideally, though, the PRC can help facilitate a solution informally, saving time and money.

“We have a staff here who's pretty good at dealing with these sorts of issues, and can usually get the ball rolling pretty fast,” Bishop said.”