Posted at: 11/25/2013 11:19 AM
Killer Sweet Potatoes
By: Katharine Wilson
This dish is a favorite for holidays and potluck gatherings. It never fails to bring raves and requests for the recipe!
Helpful Hints: You can use a food processor, a hand mixer, or an old-fashioned potato masher to do the mashing. I prefer a masher. It is more of a workout, but there is less clean-up! Be sure to use real maple syrup and real vanilla..
8 or more servings
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons cold butter
4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cut in 1.5-inch chunks
3 large eggs
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
1. Mix the brown sugar and pecans in a small bowl. Cut in the butter, using 2 knives or a pastry blender, until the butter pieces are the size of small peas. Chill in refrigerator until ready to use.
2. Cook sweet potatoes in a large pot of boiling water until soft, about 15 minutes. Test by piercing with a fork. Drain and mash well. Return to the cooking pot.
3. Beat the eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Add to the sweet potatoes and mix well.
4. Butter a large (9 x 13) baking dish or 2 one-half quart casserole. Spoon in the sweet potato mixture. Sprinkle the pecan mixture evenly over the top.
5. Bake until the sweet potato mixture is set, about 1 hour.