Posted at: 03/20/2014 6:17 PM
By: Lauren Hansard, KOB Eyewitness News 4
The state has put the brakes on a plan that could solve a decades-old video game mystery in New Mexico.
A Los Angeles film company and a Canadian film company wanted to start digging and filming in Alamogordo.
KOB Eyewitness News 4 found out why the state Environment Department says that’s not going to happen.
It’s a myth in the video game industry, truckloads of copies of the game, E.T. for Atari, allegedly dumped in a landfill in Alamogordo in 1983.
It’s described as the worst video game ever made.
But is it really in Alamogordo?
It’s not an answer anyone will have anytime soon.
The state Environment Department has denied the request made by two film companies who wanted to do some digging at the landfill for a documentary.
State Environment officials say anyone wanting to dig at the site, including Alamogordo city officials, have to submit a plan for approval.
In the document obtained by KOB, the state outlines why it rejected the plan from LightBox and Fuel Entertainment.
The state says the plan was too generic and incomplete.
According to the document, the film company did not provide any details about how they would protect themselves against potentially dangerous chemicals at the site.
The state also questions how the games would be secured if they were found.
The proposal was rejected February 27.
So far the companies have not sent a new plan.
Officials with the Environment Department say they are working with the companies, and are confident a permit will be approved in the future.