Authorities Investigate Cases of Alleged Abuse at Shattuck-St. Mary's

Updated: 10/10/2012 11:10 AM By: Leslie Dyste

More incidents of alleged abuse by teachers at Shattuck-St. Mary's School in Faribault surfaced Tuesday.

The allegations come after former teacher Lynn Phillip Seibel was charged with 17 sexual misconduct, child pornography charges related to incidents involving students at the school.

Faribault Police Chief Don Gudmundson tells KSTP in a separate incident, a male teacher began a relationship with a 15-year-old foreign exchange student in 2005.

He was confronted by the school in 2008 on the girl's eighteenth birthday. The day he was confronted, the teacher fatally shot himself at his home.

According to Gudmundson the police department was not notified about the relationship. The police department was called when the teacher shot himself.

In a statement released late Tuesday, school officials said in part "On the afternoon of December 5, 2008, the school received what it believed to be a credible allegation of misconduct on the part of the faculty member in question. After assessing the allegation, school officials immediately put in place a plan to remove this individual from the school so that an investigation could be conducted and appropriate notifications made. The suicide occurred that evening while that plan was being carried out. At the scene of the suicide, the allegations in this matter were fully and immediately disclosed to the investigating officers. At no time did the school do anything other than seek to be open and transparent about these circumstances with its students, families, faculty, staff and law enforcement."

There was a third incident involving a teacher in 1980. Police are talking to an alleged victim, but additional details in that incident have not been released.

Gudmundson says the school did not tell authorities about either case.

"I'm not going to say there's a cover-up going on, but the school's history stands for itself," said Gudmundson.

However, Shattuck-St. Mary's says it did notify police and Rice County Social Services.