Created: 11/21/2012 7:45 AM KSTP.com By: Megan Matthews
Minnesota vets want to make sure pet owners remember to keep their Thanksgiving feast away from their animals.
BluePearl Veterinary Partners say a a lot of ingredients you'll be using in the kitchen Thursday aren't good for your pets. Turkey bones can splinter if their chewed on or swallowed, and onions, garlic, chocolate, raisins, grapes and other foods can make your pets sick.
"Every year we see an increase in emergency cases during the holiday season, many of which are avoidable," said Dr. Annie Wright, a board certified specialist in veterinary emergency & critical care medicine at BluePearl in Blaine and Eden Prairie. "If people do notice their pet exhibiting unusual behavior, we would urge them to get the pet to a veterinarian as soon as possible."
Once Thanksgiving is over and you start putting up your Christmas decorations, make sure to keep poinsettias out of your pet's reach. They are toxic.