Updated: 01/04/2013 7:07 PM KSTP.com
(AP) MILL VALLEY, Calif. - Officials say two residents at a California senior care center have died following an outbreak of a gastrointestinal virus that sickened nearly 60 people at the facility.
The Marin Independent Journal reports ( http://bit.ly/1390fcD) the norovirus outbreak began just before Christmas and has afflicted residents and employees at The Redwoods facility in Mill Valley.
Public Health Officer Matthew Willis said Friday the virus may have contributed to the death of the two residents who were at least 86 years old and had "significant pre-existing conditions."
Officials say another six people were taken to the hospital after falling ill from the contagious virus, which causes flu-like symptoms for 24 to 48 hours.
Marin County officials say the Redwoods outbreak follows an outbreak at San Rafael retirement home that sickened 27 people in November.
(Copyright 2013 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)