Ashes from Fireplace May be to Blame for Edina Fire

Updated: 01/05/2013 5:59 PM KSTP.com By: Scott Theisen

Fire officials say ashes from a fireplace may be to blame for a fire that damaged a garage and home in Edina.

Firefighters responded to a report of a garage fire on the 4200 block of West 44th Street around 12:15 a.m. Saturday.

Fire officials say the residents were home at the time of the fire and made it out safely.

Officials say most of the damage was to the attached garage, but fire damage extended into the walls of the first and second floors.

Based on a preliminary report, officials say ashes from a fireplace may have caused the fire, but an official cause is pending further investigation.

"Proper disposal of ashes after using a fireplace is crucial," Fire Marshal Jeff Siems said in a statement. "Once the ashes are cool, they should be disposed of in a metal canister away from the home. Ashes and embers can retain heat for several hours, even after extinguishing a fire."

Crews from Eden Prairie, Richfield, St. Louis Park and Hennepin County EMS were also called to help with the fire. Xcel Energy and CenterPoint Energy were called to cut utilities as a precaution.