Father of Murdered Teen: Glad Suspect Was Denied Bail

Updated: 03/12/2013 4:38 PM KSTP.com By: Cassie Hart

A 17-year-old boy - suspected of murdering of a teen girl found in a Maplewood park - will remain in jail, a judge ruled Wednesday in Ramsey County Juvenile Court.

Anthony Joseph Mitchell Jr. has been charged with intentional second-degree murder and unintentional second-degree murder in the death of 16-year-old Anna Hurd of North St. Paul.

Ramsey County prosecutors are petitioning to try him as an adult. A court hearing is scheduled for April 3 to determine if Mitchell should be certified as an adult.

Mitchell's parents, Anthony and Lori Mitchell, denied commenting on the case outside the courtroom Wednesday.

The judge denied bail and a request for Mitchell to be released to his parents. The judge also ruled that there is probable cause for Mitchell to be held in custody.

Maplewood police arrested Mitchell around 12:15 p.m. Friday, March 1.

Police found Anna on a walking path at Hillside Park on the morning of Saturday, Feb. 23. According to an autopsy by the Ramsey County Medical Examiner’s Office, she died from injuries caused by several stabbing-type puncture wounds.

According to the petition, Mitchell went for a walk around 1:30 a.m. that morning with Anna, who was his girlfriend. He admitted to police that he and Anna had a short argument during the walk.

Prosecutors say that Mitchell returned home alone at about 2 a.m. He told his mom that Anna had walked to a friend’s house. He then went looking for her at about 4 a.m. and came back a little while later in hysterics with blood on his hands, according to the petition.

Mitchell’s mom called Maplewood police around 4:30 a.m. and said her son’s girlfriend had been found beaten on a trail and that she wasn’t breathing. Mitchell then led police to her body, the petition said.

Police say Mitchell gave differing accounts of how he found Anna’s body, and whether he saw someone in the park at the time of Anna’s death.

A witness told police that Anna had planned on ending the relationship with Mitchell. Mitchell allegedly knew that Anna had a bus ticket for Texas and was scheduled to leave the night of Feb. 23.

Earlier Tuesday, prosecutors asked for a second 24-hour extension to file charges but “had a change of plans,” according to Dennis Gerhardstein, spokesman for the Ramsey County Attorney's Office.