Fundraiser for Injured Hudson Golf Course Worker

Updated: 03/31/2013 2:52 PM KSTP.com By: Maricella Miranda

A fundraiser will be held for a golf course employee in Hudson who injured himself earlier this month in an explosion.

Chad Wang, 35, of Spring Valley, WI, was opening a 55-gallon drum with an acetylene torch March 22 at Hudson Golf Club when the explosion happened.

The container had a small amount of oil inside, according to the Hudson Police Department. Wang was using the acetylene torch, which is flammable, to open it.

When the drum exploded, its top shot off, hitting Wang in the head and causing severe head trauma, police reported at the time. A UPS driver then found Wang laying on the floor in blood.

Wang was taken to Regions Hospital in St. Paul.

Police began investigating the incident, which happened at about 12 p.m. March 22 in the club's maintenance building on the 2000 block of Ward Avenue.

Wang was hospitalized, suffering from a catastrophic head injury, according to a Facebook page for the Chad Wang Benefit. He underwent extensive brain surgery the day of the explosion, and could face more surgeries in the future.

The benefit is scheduled to start 1 p.m. Saturday, May 4 at The American Legion in River Falls, 701 N. Main St. The event will include games of unlimited sporting clays and chicken feed. Organizers are looking for volunteers and donations for the event.

Updates on Wang's condition can be monitored on his CaringBridge site.

Photo contributed by the Chad Wang Benefit Facebook site.