Updated: 04/04/2013 8:53 PM KSTP.com By: Nick Winkler
Yvette Huff says her son, 11-year-old Marlo Andrews, became ill after eating styrofoam at the North Education Center in New Hope in February.
Andrews has been diagnosed with ADHD and autism and needs constant supervision as he routinely puts things in his mouth.
After the styrofoam incident, Huff says she found rubber and plastic in his diaper. A trip to the hospital also revealed Andrews had consumed a piece of hardware.
The State Department of Education launched an investigation which Huff says resulted in the school letting go an employee.
Neither the school nor the state would confirm or deny whether an employee is no longer with the school as a result of the investigation.
However, Huff says the investigation is incomplete. She says the investigation focused only on the styrofoam and not the rubber, plastic, or hardware Andrews consumed. She's calling on the state to be more thorough.
Attorneys not involved with the matter tell 5 Eyewitness News the school may be liable for Andrews' $23,000 hospital stay and any future related medical costs if it's determined he was not properly supervised.
The school well respected and was specifically designed to help special needs students like Andrews.