Brooklyn Park Couple Pleads Guilty to Massive Lien Fraud

Created: 04/05/2013 1:11 PM By: Cassie Hart

A Brooklyn Park couple pleaded guilty in Ramsey County District Court for a billion-dollar lien fraud case Friday.

According to the Ramsey County Attorney, 49-year-old Lisa Connery-Eilertson and 45-year-old Thomas Eilertson pleaded guilty to 12 counts of Fraudulent or Improper Financing Statement-Invalid Lien or Security Agreement-for the $114-billion dollar harassment scheme that unfolded from Nov. 2009 to May 2012.

The two will be sentenced June 7, according to the Ramsey County Attorney's Office.

According to the complaint, the case began when the their Minneapolis home was foreclosed on in 2009, resulting in a Hennepin County sheriff’s sale in December 2009.

The Eilertsons responded by filing Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) liens against anyone associated with their economic misfortune. They did this on the advice of someone they met over the internet, according to the complaint.

Each lien was filed at the Minnesota Secretary of State’s Office in St. Paul under the name “Blessings of Liberty” leading the defendants to believe this would shield them from civil and criminal liability.

Over the course of nearly 18 months, the Eilertsons systematically filed numerous liens against a host of public and private individuals.

In a court filing on April 30, 2010, they accuse Mark S. Thompson (Hennepin County District Court Administrator), James T. Swenson (Hennepin County Chief Judge), Michael O. Freeman (Hennepin County Attorney), Toni Beitz (Assistant Hennepin County Attorney), Rick Sheridan, Kimball Foster (Hennepin County Examiner of Titles), Michael Cunniff (Hennepin County Registrar of Titles), Richard W. Stanek (Hennepin County Sheriff), Brad Erickson (Hennepin County Sheriff’s Deputy) and others of participating in a conspiracy to defraud the Eilertsons of their home that was sold at a sheriff’s sale on Dec. 8, 2009.

They demanded $1 billion in compensatory and punitive damages in the filing.

The case went from the Hennepin County Sheriff’s to St. Paul Police for review.