2 Officers in Stable Condition After South Mpls Shooting

Updated: 05/10/2013 11:31 PM KSTP.com By: Maricella Miranda

Two police officers remained in stable condition after being shot in the legs in south Minneapolis while chasing a man.

"This is a very tough day for MPD," said Minneapolis Police Chief Janeé Harteau. "The situation was a tragic one, and I want to make sure that we keep them and their families in our thoughts and prayers."

Both officers are men, according to police. No additional information was immediately available about them.

Mayor R.T. Rybak and Harteau held a news conference Friday regarding the incident. Harteau confirmed that the suspect in the shooting is dead.

The suspect was shot by police. No additional information was immediately available about the man. No other suspects are being sought in the case, police said.

The shooting happened shortly before 3:30 p.m. Friday at 2717 Bryant Ave. S. The area has residential homes, and is two blocks west of Lyndale Avenue.

The incident started as a suspect in a car fled officers, police reported. A foot chase ensued, and the suspect broke into a house. Officers were clearing the home when shots were fired.

The two police officers were shot in the leg, Harteau said. They are being treated at Hennepin County Medical Center. Both officers are in stable condition, according to police.

Off-duty officers were called to the scene, according to a source.

Jim Bickal, a producer from Minnesota Public Radio, lives at the home that the suspect broke into during the chase, according to an MPR story. Bickal, who wasn't at home at the time, said he saw an officer on the front yard receiving medical treatment for what appeared to be a gunshot wound to the leg.

Bickal said he noticed his backdoor window smashed when he parked his car behind the house and walked up the home's back porch. He told police about the smashed window, and officers then entered the home.

Streets in the neighborhood, including 27th Street toward Hennepin Avenue, were closed to traffic after the incident, said Julia Moroles, who works at a business nearby. Morales said she saw about eight squads in the area, as well as fire trucks.

A police squad, that was responding to the scene of the shooting, collided with a motorcycle while driving through a stop sign, said Sgt. Stephen McCarty, police spokesman. A man on the motorcycle died, and a female passenger was injured.

The police chief will hold a press conference on the shooting of two officers and the collision at 9 p.m.

KSTP.com will update this story as information is available.