Officers Shot with Own Gun During South Mpls Fight in Satisfactory Condition

Updated: 05/11/2013 10:51 AM By: Cassie Hart

We are learning more details about what happened after two Minneapolis police officers were shot during a chase with a suspect Friday afternoon.

Both those officers are recovering and were listed in satisfactory condition at Hennepin County Medical Center as of Saturday morning.

The suspect has been confirmed dead by police in the shooting happened shortly before 3:30 p.m. Friday at 2717 Bryant Ave. S.

Family members tell us the suspect is Terrance Franklin.

According to a source, the two shot officers are SWAT members assigned to warrant service but were not serving a warrant at the time of the incident. They were not on the start of the stolen car chase but were called in after to help search for a burglary suspect.

While at the home, officers first sent a K9 into the basement to flush out the male suspect, according to a source. When officers heard the suspect begin fighting with the canine, four to five officers rushed into the basement to help, according to the source.

The source said it was an all-out brawl and one of the officers involved described the suspect as "crazed."

At some point during the fight, the suspect grabbed a MP5 sub-machine gun that was in a sling around an officer's neck that typically hangs in front of the officer's body across the chest and stomach, and pulled the trigger, according to two well-placed sources.

The two wounded officers were shot with a department-issued gun, the sources said.

It's unknown if the officer or officers that opened fire on the suspect knew if he had a gun and it's unclear if he ever did.

KSTP's Tom Hauser asked Police Chief Janee Harteau about what our sources revealed during a press conference Friday night. She said the investigation is ongoing.

The incident started as a suspect in a car fled officers. A foot chase ensued, and the suspect broke into the house, according to Minneapolis Police.

Jim Bickal, a producer from Minnesota Public Radio, lives at the home that the suspect broke into during the chase, according to an MPR story. Bickal said he noticed his backdoor window smashed when he parked his car behind the house and walked up the home's back porch. He told police about the smashed window, and officers then entered the home.

Streets in the neighborhood, including 27th Street toward Hennepin Avenue, were closed to traffic after the incident.

A police squad, that was responding to the scene of the shooting, collided with a motorcycle, said Sgt. Stephen McCarty, police spokesman.

A man on the motorcycle died, and a female passenger was injured. She was in stable condition Friday night, according to police.

Watch the press conference with Minneapolis Police here.