St. Paul Man Accused of Robbing Woman 3 Times, Rape

Updated: 06/21/2013 2:07 PM By: Maricella Miranda

Curtez Deshawn Graham, 18, of St. Paul
Curtez Deshawn Graham, 18, of St. Paul
Photo: Photo: Ramsey County Sheriff's Office

An 18-year-old is accused of breaking into a woman's St. Paul home three times over a two-year period - and allegedly raping her during the last robbery.

Curtez Deshawn Graham, 18, of St. Paul, has been charged with eight felonies in Ramsey County District Court, including first-degree criminal sexual conduct, aggravated robbery, kidnapping and burglary, according to a criminal complaint.

Graham is scheduled to appear in court Friday.

The criminal complaint against him can be found here.

The first robbery happened Oct. 10, 2011 at a home on the 1100 block of Portland Avenue in St. Paul, the complaint said. The homeowner, who is currently a 65-year-old woman, gave Graham $80. He then left and the woman called police.

The police didn't find Graham.

The following month, Graham returned to the home, the complaint said. The woman gave Graham money again. Graham told her, "You had more money last time." He also said, "Now remember - you didn't call the police last time, don't call them this time."

Graham also reportedly took the woman's iPhone. Police later located Graham when he tried to sell the phone at school, the complaint said. Graham was adjudicated of first-degree burglary charges. He served nine to 12 months in a juvenile detention facility.

Graham later violated probation and was sentenced to prison in Red Wing, Minn., the complaint said. He was furloughed for 10 days while being monitored by an ankle bracelet.

His furlough was extended when he found a job at Subway, the charges said. Graham eventually stopped going to work and broke his ankle bracelet.

On Wednesday, June 19, Graham returned to the woman's house and woke her and another man while sleeping in their bedroom during the early morning hours, the charges said. Graham was standing naked with scissors in her bedroom.

Graham told the man to tie himself up or he would kill him, the complaint said. Graham then raped the woman. He took $75 and the man's cellphone before leaving the house.

Before leaving, Graham told the woman, "Don't call the police - I can come and get you anytime." He also said, "Well, you are really keeping the place up and things are nice and clean" and "You sent me to prison for 14 months."

Police arrested Graham later that day near Ashland Avenue and Grotto Street, the complaint said. He had a phone that matched the one belonging to the man.

Graham admitted to robbing the woman, but initially denied raping her, the complaint said. Graham told police that he returned to the same house because she had sent him to jail for 14 months. He later admitted to raping the woman, but stopped.

Graham told police he's "not that kind of person," the charges said.

He's being held in Ramsey County Jail on $1 million bail.