Man Fights for His Life After Beating on St. Paul's East Side

Updated: 08/09/2013 8:36 PM By: Maricella Miranda

Issac Oneal Maiden, 19, of St. Paul
Issac Oneal Maiden, 19, of St. Paul
Photo: Photo: Ramsey County Sheriff's Office

A 26-year-old man is fighting for his life after he was found beaten after a large fight broke out on the East Side of St. Paul.

A 19-year-old man is accused of participating in the fight, which resulted in Raymond Widstrand suffering permanent brain loss.

Issac Oneal Maiden, of St. Paul, has been charged in Ramsey County District Court with four felonies, including two counts of committing a crime for the benefit of a gang and a count each of first-degree assault and first-degree aggravated robbery.

The criminal complaint can be found here.

The fight started around 11:40 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 4, in the area of Payne and Reaney Avenues, according to the complaint. A man hailed down an officer, who was driving in the area, to report a large fight happening nearby.

At the scene, the officer saw about 40-50 juveniles and young adults, the charges said. They began running as the squad approached.

On the ground, police found Widstrand lying on his back with his pants off and his shirt torn, according to the complaint. His nose and mouth were bleeding.

He was taken to Regions Hospital in St. Paul. As of Wednesday, his prognosis for recovery was slight, the complaint said. Should he live, the man will have permanent brain loss.

Witnesses told police that the group was attending a party on Preble Street near Minnehaha Avenue when a group of girls started fighting. The fight was taken outside.

Young men, who are believed to be affiliated with the East Side Boyz and Ham Crazy gangs, then began beating a white man, who was walking in the area, witnesses told police, according to the complaint. The group stripped Widstrand of his pants and robbed him.

Police later showed a witness a cell phone picture taken that night of a man believed to be involved in the fight. That witnesses identified the man as Maiden.

Maiden, who was arrested, told police that he was at the party that night, but left when someone used mace against him during the fight. He denied assaulting the man.

Police also are investigating several suspects' shoes for evidence in the case.

Maiden is scheduled to make his first court appearance Friday, Aug. 9. The Ramsey County Attorney's Office is recommending that Maiden be held on $150,000 bail.