5 Americans Killed in Philippines Typhoon, Still Signs of Hope

Updated: 11/19/2013 5:33 PM KSTP.com By: Scott Theisen



A Philipine Air Force crew looks out from his helicopter as Typhoon Haiyan-ravaged city of Tacloban is seen in the background, during a flight to deliver relief goods in Leyte province, Philippines, Tuesday, Nov. 19.
A Philipine Air Force crew looks out from his helicopter as Typhoon Haiyan-ravaged city of Tacloban is seen in the background, during a flight to deliver relief goods in Leyte province, Philippines, Tuesday, Nov. 19.
Photo: Photo: AP/Dita Alangkara

U.S. officials say five Americans have died in Philippines' Typhoon Haiyan and hundreds of other Americans have received assistance.
    
Testifying before the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, the State Department's Scot Marciel provided the updated U.S. death toll.
    
He said Tuesday U.S. officials have received more than 1,000 calls seeking information about Americans. About 475 people have been located.
    
The White House says the U.S. is now providing $37 million in humanitarian aid to victims of the deadly Nov. 8 storm. That's almost double what the U.S. has previously announced.
    
The typhoon was among the strongest on record. It killed or has left missing more than 5,000 people and displaced an estimated 4 million people. A major international relief mission is under way to help survivors.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)