Updated: 03/09/2014 11:12 PM KSTP.com By: Leslie Dyste
Photo: Photo courtesy of Maranda Bergren
A mother who says her 11-year-old son's birthday party was ruined after several boys became ill Saturday is suspicious of the fumes in a hotel water park in Owatonna where they swam earlier in the day.
The hotel tells KSTP it has tested the pool's water and all of the chemical levels meet state regulations.
Maranda Bergren says she took eight boys, along with her daughter and a friend, to the Holiday Inn Hotel and Suites on 43rd Street for her son's birthday party.
The group was swimming in the water park that afternoon around 2 p.m., Bergren says. Around 8 p.m., she noticed that some of the boys began coughing and their eyes were red. Three of the boys also threw up, she says.
Bergren says when she went down to the front desk to make them aware of the situation; she encountered the Miles family, who was dealing with the same symptoms.
Robert Miles says he called the police to get his family of four checked out around midnight. He says the hotel manager on duty told him they would test the water and get back to him with the results.
Owatonna Police Sgt. Deanne Vonwald says they responded to a medical call at the hotel Saturday afternoon and administered first aid before Blue Cross ambulance responders took over the situation.
A worker with the hotel tells KSTP the hotel pool was closed so the water levels could be checked. The employee said although the levels tested within state guidelines, the pool remained closed Sunday night while they continued to investigate.