St. Paul Man Charged after Shooting Death Near Concordia University

Updated: 08/08/2014 1:29 PM By: Megan Stewart

Ibrahim Mohammed Abdullahi
Ibrahim Mohammed Abdullahi
Photo: Photo: Ramsey County Sheriff's Office

A 26-year-old man was arrested Wednesday for the shooting death of another man on a St. Paul street near Concordia University.

The incident happened on the north side of Marshall Avenue, between Hamline Avenue and Syndicate Street, around 11 p.m. Tuesday.

Jeffery Earl Willingham had been drinking with friends earlier in the evening, according to the criminal complaint. The group was out getting fresh air near Dunning Park.

At some point, the group ran into a man in a blue and white striped shirt, identified as Ibrahim Mohammed Abdullahi, the complaint said. After a confrontation, shots were fired and Willingham was found in the street with an apparent gunshot wound to the abdomen.

Willingham was taken to the hospital, where he died the next day from a gunshot wound, the complaint said. 

Officers located a blue 2003 Infinity G35, registered to Abdullahi, parked across the street from 1241 Carroll Ave. next to Dunning Park. It was the only car parked on the street and was towed from the scene, the complaint said.

Police obtained a search warrant for the car and found a Smith & Wesson .38 caliber cartridge and Abdullahi's cellphone.

On Wednesday, Abdullahi called the St. Paul Police Department and asked why there was a hold on his car. He was provided with a case number and a phone number for the homicide unit, the complaint said.

Later that day, police conducted a search of Abdullahi's home. They found a blue and white striped shirt wrapped in a comforter, the complaint said. Investigators also found a bag with several rounds of ammunition in the bedroom.

The ammunition found in the home and bullets recovered from his car were lead and appeared to be consistent with the bullet recovered from Willingham during an autopsy.

Abdullahi was arrested Wednesday for second-degree murder. He has a prior record for felony assault, the complaint said. He was released from prison in December 2013.

He was expected to make his first appearance Friday afternoon.