Mushroom and Truffle Mac and Cheese
Posted at: 03/10/2017 2:12 PM
Updated at: 03/10/2017 4:55 PM
This is a grown up version of mac and cheese and is bold in flavor! Chef and owner of Wyatt Hospitality
added mushrooms and Italian cheese infused with it with black truffle.
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 ounces; 40g)
4 tablespoons (24g) all-purpose flour
3 cups whole milk -Hot
6 Ounces Grated truffle cheese
4 Ounces sharp white cheddar
A drizzle of truffle oil to taste
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat (do not allow it to brown). Add flour and stir to form a paste. Continue to cook, about 1 minute. Whisking constantly, add the hot milk in a thin, steady stream. Sauce will initially become very thick, then get very thin once all the milk is added.
2. Heat, stirring, until sauce comes to a simmer and begins to thicken slightly. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring, until sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, about 3 minutes.
3. Stir in the cheese, salt and pepper and truffle oil
4 cups/1 lb Mushrooms, cleaned and finely chopped (You can use whatever mushrooms you like, regular white mushrooms or portabellas work just fine)
1 Small yellow onion, finely chopped
3 Cloves Garlic, Finely chopped
2 Cups White Wine such as Pinot Grigio
½ Cup Breadcrumbs
2 TBS chopped sage
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
Salt and Pepper
1. To chop the Mushrooms, place into a food processor and pulse or chop until they are coarsely chopped. You may have to do this in batches
2. In a large saucepan, heat the oil and the butter over a high heat. Once melted, add the garlic, cook for about a minute then add the onions and cook until they begin to brown slightly.
3. Add the mushrooms and stir well.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until the liquid starts to release from the mushrooms.
5. Add the wine and cook until almost all of the liquid has evaporated, this will help concentrate the flavors.
6. Turn off the heat and add the breadcrumbs, sage and seasoning.