Posted at: 02/06/2012 7:41 AM
Updated at: 02/13/2012 5:16 PM
By: Scott Doane
This week's Taste of the Northland segment was a hot one! Samantha Mehrotra stopped by the Whole Foods Co-op in Duluth to make some spicy collard greens and a recipe called "Chicken Yucatan."
Whole Foods promotions and education manager Shannon Szymkowiak said this recipe takes only about 10 minutes to make.
Spicy Collard Greens
National Co-op Grocers Association
- 1 large bunches Collard Greens, stems removed, leaves chopped
- 1 med Onion, sliced
- ½ Red Bell Pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves fresh Garlic, chopped
- 1 Jalapeno Pepper, chopped
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- ½ tsp ground Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Coriander
- ½ tsp Cumin
Bring large stockpot three-quarters full of salted water to a boil. Add the chopped collard greens and cook for 3 – 4 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and squeeze out any excess water. In a skillet, sauté the, onion, bell pepper, garlic and jalapeño pepper with the 3 tablespoons olive oil until just tender, then add salt and spices to taste. Toss the sautéed vegetables and spices with the drained collards and serve.
Recipe - www.epicurean.com
- 3 tbsp fresh Orange Juice
- 3 tbsp unsweetened Cranberry Juice
- 2 tbsp fresh Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp fresh Oregano, chopped or 2 t dried
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 clove Garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp Salt (opt)
- 4 - 6 dashes Tabasco
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half (6 pieces)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 F. In food processor or blender combine fruit juices, oregano, olive oil, cumin, chili powder, garlic, salt and Tabasco. Puree until smooth. Set chicken in baking dish and brush with some of the citrus herb mixture. Roast chicken turning once and brushing with remaining mixture from time to time for 30 - 35 minutes or until internal temp reaches 165. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Can be prepared one day in advance and stored covered in the refrigerator. Serve hot or cold. Serves 6.