Posted at: 08/20/2012 8:53 AM
If you picking any berries this season, you may want to try to create this berry blossom dessert. Or you can also check it out on the fall menu at the 17th Street Grill at the Timber Lake Lodge in Grand Rapids.
To find out what else is going on there, or to check out their entire menu, visit www.timberlakelodgehotel.com
Dough: Phyllo dough (cut to 6 inch squares, enough for 8 layers)
- ¼ cup butter
- Melted Cinnamon and sugar, to sprinkle
- Honey, to drizzle
Berry Mixture: ½ cup blackberries
- ½ cup strawberries
- 3 oz. strawberry purée
-½ cup raspberry
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 tbls. corn starch
Port Wine Reduction: 1 cup Port
- 1 cup Reisling
- 1 ½ cup sugar
- 1 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 peppercorns
- 1 allspice
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. To prepare reduction, combine all ingredients in thick bottom stock pot and simmer over medium heat until reduced to syrupy consistency; allow to cool ½ hour.
3. While reduction is cooling, take layer of Phyllo and brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar; repeat with other seven layers and place in shallow baking crock.
4. Toss berries with corn starch, mix in purée and reduction.
5. Place berry mixture in Phyllo dough and fold edges around mixture.
6. Drizzle with honey, cinnamon and sugar and bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes.
7. Top with fresh whipped cream and enjoy!