Posted at: 10/10/2012 6:20 PM
It’s easy to forget to buckle up before you hit the the road, local police will be increasing seat belt enforcement in Northeastern Minnesota.
Duluth Police Lieutenant Leigh Wright said, “our enforcement wave is going to start October 12th and will conclude on October 26th. You will be seeing lots of officers out there working Click It or Ticket.”
She did have some positive updates at the launch meeting on Wednesday.
“I do have some good news. Ninety-three percent of Minnesota drivers do buckle up. That’s great news,” Wright said.
However, Police said 150 drivers were killed last year because they didn’t buckle up.
An all too real example was shown at the meeting. Minnesota State Patrol Sergeant Neil Dickenson spoke in front of a fatal wreck from last year.
16-year-old Haylie Samuelson wasn’t wearing a seat belt when she died after her car rolled over near Hinckley, but her passenger survived.
“The female passenger was wearing her seat belt. She was not ejected and survived the crash and actually called 911. With a statement later the female passenger gave the statement that Haylie the driver was actually texting at the time," Dickenson said.
Sergeant Dickenson also thanked Halie’s mother, Sharon Samuelson, for providing the car to remind drivers about seat belt safety.
Click It or Ticket is part of the Federal Highway Administration’s Toward Zero Deaths Campaign. Local law enforcement just received about $200,000 in grant money to keep the program going strong in Northeastern Minnesota.
The Minnesota Department of Public Safety said the number of deaths on Minnesota roadways is at it’s lowest since 1944.