Posted at: 11/07/2012 10:29 PM
Updated at: 11/08/2012 10:16 AM
By: Dayna Landgrebe & Travis Dill
The Fryberger Arena in Duluth's Woodland neighborhood was evacuated on Wednesday night after a carbon monoxide leak sickened multiple people.
Assistant Fire Chief Jarry Keepers told Eyewitness News that about 30 people were in the arena around 8 p.m. for a youth hockey practice session.
"It started out as a smaller call (and there was) more response as we realized the size of the issue," Keepers said.
The Duluth Fire Department said that eight people were treated by Gold Cross Ambulance on the scene. One of them was brought to the emergency room.
Authorities also notified other teams that practiced at Fryberger earlier in the evening. One person was brought to the emergency room from their home, the fire department said.
A parent there told Eyewitness News the Icebreakers were practicing, a team made up of 11 and 12-year-old youth players.
The manager of the Duluth East Bantam A Hockey team called in the problem when several players complained of headaches after a practice in the arena. He said some players even vomited due to their exposure to the carbon monoxide.
Authorities also say the leak could have possibly been from a Zamboni ice resurfacing machine that was left on or a heating system.
The arena is located at 3211 Allendale Ave.