www.WDIO.com

Fire Destroys Home in Nett Lake

Posted at: 12/12/2012 5:55 PM

A fire destroyed a home in Nett Lake on Monday.

Local Red Cross volunteer Christina Hujanen, Tower, responded after a Monday morning blaze destroyed a mobile home, leaving two residents homeless.

Hujanen, who represents the Northland Chapter of the American Red Cross, provided food, clothing, storage tubs, linens, and comfort supplies for the clients.

Emergency housing was provided by the Bois Forte band of Ojibwe at Fortune Bay Casino Hotel.

Red Cross volunteers like Hujanen are on call around the clock to respond to emergencies such as this one and provide a variety of services that include financial assistance, health services, and emotional support.

“Fires during the holiday season are especially common,” said chapter Executive Director Judy Hanne Gonzalez, who recommends that people take special care with holiday lights and candles.

Cooking is also a common cause of holiday fires, she added. “Free fire safety tips and information about family fire disaster plans is available at www.redcross.org,” Gonzalez said.