Posted at: 07/09/2013 10:53 AM
Updated at: 07/09/2013 10:54 AM
LONDON (AP) - Elton John has canceled a show in London's Hyde Park after being diagnosed with appendicitis that will require surgery.
A statement issued Tuesday by the musician's publicist said John was suffering from an inflamed appendix and surrounding abscess.
He has been advised by doctors to cancel his concerts while he undergoes a regime of antibiotics to treat the abscess. That will be followed by surgery in the next few weeks.
The statement said John fell ill during his recent European tour, but "is eager to be back on top form and return to play the remaining shows starting in early September 2013."
The 66-year-old performer had been due to play an outdoor concert in London's Hyde Park on Friday on a bill with Elvis Costello and Ray Davies.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)