Posted at: 07/24/2013 11:10 AM
Updated at: 07/24/2013 12:30 PM
With the Tall Ships Festival visiting the Twin Ports of Duluth-Superior starting this week, the Coast Guard anticipates a busy period of recreational boating traffic.
Coast Guard crews will be conducting various patrol activities including enforcing a 100 yard safety zone around all Tall Ships, recreational boat safety checks, and watching for people boating under the influence or operating in an unsafe manner.
Boaters are advised that the safety zone will be enforced and should remain outside this zone. The 100 yard safety zone surrounds all Tall Ships while underway or moored and will remain in place to protect recreational boaters from navigating too close to the Tall Ships.
The Coast Guard appreciates cooperation in maintaining a safe distance from all Tall Ships, and strongly encourages the following:
• Always wear a Coast Guard approved life jacket.
• Never boat under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
• Be aware of weather and water conditions.
• File a float plan to let others know where you are going, examples may be found here.
• Have a VHF radio since cell phone services are unreliable offshore.
• Be cautious and do not exceed your ability to handle your vessel, and be constantly aware of other vessels.
• Observe safety and security zones while on the water.