www.WDIO.com

Minn. On Pace for 450 Traffic Deaths in 2013

Posted at: 07/29/2013 8:49 PM
Updated at: 07/29/2013 8:50 PM



A traffic death trend has Minnesota safety officials reminding drivers to be safe behind the wheel.

Five people killed in car accidents over the weekend puts the state over the 200-mark for the year. The Department of Public Safety said that is up from 175 at this time last year.

The agency said motorcyclist deaths have been one factor for the increase. This year, they said 38 drivers have been killed, compared to 24 at this time in 2012.

In a news conference Monday afternoon, Earl Conley, the father of a man killed by a drunk driver in Minneapolis last year, broke down pleading for change. "We have to do something. Please. This needs to stop. This needs to stop," he said.

State Patrol Lt. Col. Matt Langer said "we should not tolerate this increase in deaths...the mistakes we make when we're driving have very real and very violent results."

Should the trend continue, the DPS projects around 450 traffic deaths for the year, which is 55 more than in 2012.