Posted at: 11/23/2013 2:31 PM
Updated at: 12/26/2013 10:36 AM
MARQUETTE, Mich. (AP) - The take in the first Upper Peninsula wolf hunt in four decades remains at 20, as frigid weather continues to keep the killing down.
The Michigan Department of Natural Resources says that's the total as of 6 a.m. Sunday. The department has expressed doubt that the hunt will reach its quota of 43 by year's end.
The season opened in three sections of the U.P. on Nov. 15.
The DNR says the take so far is 12 in central counties of upper Michigan, five wolves in the far western U.P. and three in the eastern U.P. Eleven of the wolves killed were females.
Before the season, the DNR estimated that Michigan had 658 wolves.
Online: Updates on wolf hunt from DNR
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)